Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Swedish fashion: Men's edition – Fun Swedish Fashion Faux Pas



OK, it's been awhile since I blogged about Swedish men's fashion for many reasons. 1) Because my own personal Swedish Man said I might want to think twice about blogging about something I obviously had no clue about (like that has ever stopped me before!) 2) Because way too many people find this blog by searching for Swedish Men's Fashion and to them I apologize deeply. The Swede is right, this is not my area of expertise.

BUT - I am taking another dip in the Swedish Male Fashion pool because it is summer – and summer brings out my favorite Swedish male fashion Faux Pas of all time. I don't mean this in a mocking way. When I see things like this it makes me smile. And that is a good thing. I much prefer this Faux Pas to the current stupid male fashion trend of tucking a brightly colored fabric swatch in the pocket of your blazer (haha, do people still call them blazers?) which you are wearing with ripped jeans and a pink shirt. That makes me laugh in a 'God, I-thought-I-got-to-miss-out on-How-To- Succeed-In-Business-Without-Even-Trying Fashion' kind of way.

During the winter the Socks in Clogs or Socks in Sandals can be seen in hospitals or doctor's offices throughout the land, because health personnel check their shoes at the door and slip on their ergonomically comfy shoes over their winter socks.

But in summer, the socks in sandals come out to play. Or socks and shorts – which are also fun.





A few side notes:

  1. I realize that this phenomenon isn't a Swedish one alone, but it is pretty common here – I think because there are so few beautiful days, people get surprised and don't know how to dress :)
  2. I feel bad picking on Swedish men's fashion, because typically I think they are far more fashionable than American men. But, since I am not a huge fan of fashion, sometimes that makes me pick on them even more.

8 comments:

  1. Socks reduce friction against the footwear. I've never worn sandals, but clogs can wear quite a bit on the top of your foot.

    Using long socks with shorts looks silly though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, good point. My Mom always wears her clogs barefoot and it always seems super uncomfortable to me.

    I usually skip the socks with my sandals - but it is quite a look anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would much rather have foot friction then every be seen wearing socks with my sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, they're also particularly common in the PNW :) http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/#profiles/56sandalsandsocksguy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is PNW? Pennsylwania?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In England, we always laugh at the Germans for wearing socks with their sandals and shorts. I think most british men get around it by wearing very short, almost invisible trainer socks inside their trainers, rather than sandals, although some older british men are guilty of the crime....

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Mazui - I think it's Pacific North West? But correct me if I'm wrong T-anna - I've never been, but hope to one day.

    @janerowena - Hmm, interesting, maybe I'll have to listen closely, could be that German tourists are ruining it for the Swedish fashonistas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In our place the only people who wear socks with their sandals are some what called disciples.

    ReplyDelete