OK, I'm late to the party. I know. But give me credit, I suffered through more Melodifestivalen this year than ever before. And what do I have to show for it? Not too much.
But I figure some of you outside of Sweden must be chomping at the bit to find out who won Melodifestival and who will be representing Sweden this year at Eurovision when they lose in terrible defeat due to the Eastern European Conspiracy.
The winner is
Erik Saade Popular!
I don't know how to pronounce his last name, so I am going with Sade like the singer, not like the Marquis. But I'm probably wrong.
Why this song might just stand a chance:
1) Erik sings that 'He will be popular' 78 times in this song (you can count if you want, this is just my random guesstimate) - perhaps the power of repetition will fool the audience into thinking he actually is popular.
2) Erik appeals to a wide audience - young teenage girls, since he has a cute boyish look and is singing about seducing a young girl who is so shallow she will only love him if he is popular, and gay men - there is an odd moment in the dance sequence in which one of the male dancers feels him up. That was my favorite part of the whole routine because it was quite unexpected!
Why this song probably doesn't stand a chance
1) The Eastern European voting conspiracy
2) The song is really bad
3) The dancing is like a bad Backstreet Boys video from 15 years ago
4) Anyone that desperate for popularity doesn't stand a chance
Sweden in Quarterfinals in World Cup 2018
2 weeks ago