Sunday, February 20, 2011

Melodifestivalen Part III: If it were all up to me


OK, I have had enough. Although I haven't actually watched an episode of Melodifestival yet, I have watched more of the entries than ever before. This weekend the stomach flu has come to our house and to be honest, I have no desire to even be snarky about this weeks entries. I need a little pick me up.

So I've decided to be super-narcissistic (because isn't that what blogging is all about anyway?) and come up with my dream Melodifestivalen, in which my favorite Swedish artists compete for a place on the Eurovision stage. I know this won't happen, because none of these artists would sign up for the contest, and that is part of why I love them, but this is all in my head anyways.

The truth is Sweden has some pretty awesome music, and here are some of my personal faves:

I can't Change - Sophie Zelmani – This is one of my all-time favorite videos and it helped me discover Zelmani.






 Timbuktu – I know, earlier I really dissed Swedish rap. In Swedes defense I will say I think Swedish rap is far superior to Icelandic rap (would you believe I have been to an Icelandic rap concert? Yes, it was that funny). Timbuktu is the exception. His lyrics are smart, funny, and he's got 2 American parents as well.



Ok, so both of the above are a bit dated so this one is a new and not quite famous Swedish band

The Bernadottes



These guys seem to be some kind of Indie-pop group (is this still a music genre?) – they get points from me because they manage to sing about Safran Foer in a truly amusing way!

I think any of the above might not rock Eurovision, but they sure make my world a happier place.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear you had the dreadful stomach flu. Hope you are feeling much better now. I love Zelmani. I went to listen to one of her concerts in Gothenburg. Actually I´ve seen her twice. I really like her music. Have a much better week and hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't that be something. Although I like Pernilla Andersson who seems to be part of this round.
    Germany chose the same old Satellite-Lena!

    ReplyDelete